Monday 5 March 2007

No Scooter - want to try the Red Lobster?

*sigh*


On Friday I had this lump thing, called a sebaceous cyst, removed from the back of my head. I’d had it for a few years but lately, whenever I wore by bike helmet, it rubbed and got sore. My doctor said it was time to get rid of the thing so I had it cut out. The outpatient surgery was fine - the thing was almost as big as an egg, though! - but the problem is, I can’t wear a helmet for two weeks.

*sigh*


I’ve alluded to the fact that I ride a bike as well as a scooter. In today’s post, since I am scooterless for the next little while, I thought I’d write a bit about something relating to my other passion, riding bicycles, Today’s post is about the Lobsters....



During the summer time, I often go cycling with a group of mostly teachers. The group is called the Red Lobster Outdoor Club and has a long history of outdoor pursuits including mountain climbing, hiking and cycling. I started teaching with one of the Lobsters about 10 or so years ago and became interested in the cycling portion (I hate heights so mountain climbing was definitely out).

We usually do multi-day trips in the Rocky Mountains - 4 to 10 days - with distances from 60 km to over 100 km each day. I find these trips to be physically demanding, not because we are going particularly fast, but because we are covering what is, for me, a lot of distance. Last year, we rode in the Canadian Rockies around Fernie, Banff and Cranbrook, other years have seen us do the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise, the Going to the Sun Highway in Montana, and the Golden Triangle, also in the Rockies.



My good friend, fellow teacher and Red Lobster, Keith Rajala, has a site called the Red Lobster Journals. It has lots of stories about what the group has done over the years. My part has taken place during the 90s and this decade.

As I sit here, looking through the web site, I think back fondly to my last scooter ride - riding home from Keith’s house last Thursday night after a school function - and I check off the calendar, counting off the days left to when I can wear a helmet and get back on two wheels!

*sigh*

2 comments:

Combatscoot said...

Sorry to hear you cannot ride, but at least the cyst is gone.
John

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!