Wednesday 15 August 2018

Yellowstone Ride - Day 1 - Maple Ridge to Penticton. - 360 km


Dale, outside of Princeton, makes a questionable decision...
Time to dust off the blog....

So after I had the 20, 000 service on my BMW C600 as well as new tires and new brake pads (all in, more than $2000!), I was ready for a new challenge. My friend, Dale, and I decided to head out to Yellowstone National Park in the US.

Trip Overview
The scooter was sounding and performing well after throwing all that money at it. We had booked our motels in advance and picked out a probable route. My top case was stuffed with clothes and under my seat were things like my rain gear, tools, and other riding essentials.

I met up with Dale at 8:15am and we headed out on the quieter number 7 highway. It was a hot ride but very enjoyable in terms of scenery. We've done this part a few times before so there weren't any real surprises waiting for us.

Maple Ridge to Penticton - Route 7, 3, 97
At Hope, we got on Highway 3, the Hope-Princeton, and made our way past Manning Park and Doug's Homestead (home of amazing beef jerky and pepperoni). We continued on, finally heading south on Highway 97 and rolled into Penticton in time for dinner.

It was on the Hope-Princeton that Dale made his first questionable decision of the trip. The temperature was well into the 30's - over 100° in the old Fahrenheit scale - and he decided to ride al fresco... well, maybe not quite, but certainly in his t-shirt.

And, I have to admit, after feeling extremely soggy and a bit punchy in the heat, I joined him.

We arrived in Penticton in time for dinner with Dale's mother-in-law (aka Granny).

La Frenz vineyard
First we had an excellent wine tasting at La Frenz winery in Penticton. Instead of the usual stand up at the bar style which is prevalent in most other wineries, we got to sit at a table, like we were going to a wine bar. This was a very comfortable way to try wines! We then went to Hillside for a tasting and despite having to stand up at the bar, we all really enjoyed their wines and each bought a bottle!

Wonderful food at the Hooded Merganser
After that we went to the Hooded Merganser for dinner - one of Penticton's fancier eating venues.  There was a bit of confusion over our table and we were finally seated outside with a beautiful view of the lake. I had the Arctic char which was an absolutely amazing meal. The timing of our meal was French style - unhurried - which I liked but we did feel, at times. that the server had forgotten we existed. View - A, Food - A, Service - C.

Tasty Penticton wines!
Appetite satiated and enough wine in my system, we headed back to Granny's and, after chatting a couple hours, headed to bed, anticipating new adventures the next day.

No comments: