Wednesday 11 July 2012

Scoot..as you are...

Possiblilities....

I really look forward to my summer scoot. There is certainly something to be said about a group ride - the friendship, camaraderie, and company - but I don't mind a solo trip either.

This summer, I want to go a little farther afield then in previous years but would still like it just to be an overnight trip.

I remember my first big trip to the US - 7 and a half hours on an LX50 to Seattle - and it was, well, a lot of fun!

This year, I'm thinking of scooting down to the Olympic Peninsula. I'd get to Bellingham, take Chuckanut drive through to Anacortes then along Whidbey Island with a ferry over to Port Townsend and then either North around the peninsula or South to Aberdeen to stay the night. Incidentally, Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic from Nirvana were both from Aberdeen.  This entry from Wikipedia certainly intrigues me, as well!

By 1900, Aberdeen was considered one of the grittiest towns on the West Coast, with many saloons,whorehouses, and gambling establishments populating the area. Aberdeen was nicknamed "The Hellhole of the Pacific", or "The Port of Missing Men", because of its high murder rate. One notable resident was Billy Gohl, known locally as Billy "Ghoul",[3] who was rumored to have killed at least 140 men.


Google maps gives a time between 6 and 7 hours - so if I leave at 7 in the morning, I'll have lots of time to stop for a nice brekky, lunch, and take photos.Aberdeen has some good, cheap accommodations and is home to a winery!

I've got a bit of time before I figure on going so I'll think about this ride for the next couple days. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave:

there is a big scooter rally in Bellingham. I was thinking of stopping on my way back, July 28th

http://www.scootersofbellingham.org/hamster-run/

Mainly Vespas . . . lots of riding local twisties & lots of food . . .

Make sure you go to Rialto Beach, take the La Push turnoff near Forks. Only a couple of miles to a virgin beach. Like going to Tofino, but much better. You also missed Neah Bay at the end of Hwy 112. go to the lookout and look down the cliffs, see the Sea Caves.

have a snack at Lake Quinealt Lodge, a huge log cabin in the rain forest. lots of photo opps with hanging moss, etc.

Go to Ilwalco and Long Beach. The longest white sand beach in the world. Let us know when you are going . . .

there is a Troll House just east of Sequim (Pronounced Sqwim)

http://trollhaven.org/Tour_Entrance.htm


bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

David Masse said...

Sounds like a great trip Dave, and I see Bob's got you covered with more sights to see than could fit in a week.

I look forward to reading your excellent posts!

The City Mouse in the Country said...

If your a football (soccer) fan you might want to take in a Bellingham Hammer's game as well. They are scooter friendly.

Dave Dixon said...

Bob Wow - you've given me a lot of things to do - unfortunately, I'm only gone one night, not one week! Will try to do the beach and the lodge - not sure if I can do the rest! Looks like I'll go next week - probably Tuesday/Wednesday so long as the weather holds. Should get a multipart blog out of this one too!

David Thanks! It's good to have something worthwhile to blog about!

Robert Have to file that one in the 'later' category!

Unknown said...

Dave:

only 1 night ? for such a long distance ? You're not going to see anything except asphalt.

the highlight of your trip will be Rialto Beach, at the La Push turnout from Forks. Only a short distance. You will be glad you did. Take a beverage & sandwich and watch the waves, and perhaps walk on the pristine beach. It is the last virgin beach in North America and is protected. No trace hiking.

also stop at Kalalock, nice beach with cabins on the beach (actually on the cliff overlooking).

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Unknown said...

Quite impressive. Great job bob and Dave i hope you had a fun filled trip.
I am a Street motorcycle rider and your blogs are always informative to me.
My biking experience gets better and better every time i go through your informative and encouraging pieces.